Sunday, August 22, 2010

Here it is...yay. "The Purse" is finally finished. I wish I had known what a really hard fabric burlap is to work with before I got the bright idea to make purses from it. Well, maybe it's better that I didn't know. I might never have tried it. It frays like a big dog and I had the Devil's own time turning the straps inside out...it doesn't slide very well. Anyway, I'm glad I finally got done with it. I learned a lot and next time it won't be as hard..I hope. I'm thankful I had Sergio (my serger) to cut and bind the seams...even though I should have worn a painters mask because of the dust that flew everywhere. Never wear a black T-shirt when working with burlap. I may have to toss that shirt..or always use it when sewing with burlap. I do think the result was worth it, though. I'm ready to tackle another one! I have some other ideas, too. They involve painter's drop cloths...no I'm not saying...you'll have to wait and see. Till then...be nice and play well with the other children.

3 comments:

Becky and Stacey said...

OMG Mom! This is amazingly COOL!!! Maybe on the next purse you could "cheat" a little and make it out of muslin or thin painters canvas (cheap at Home Depot) and then just sew a patch of burlap on the front and back with a stencil on it. Just trying to think of an easier way that would still be funky and cute! I covet this purse though! GOOD JOB! Love ya!

Becky and Stacey said...

When I said "painters canvas" from Home Depot I meant drop cloth. Just so ya know. I think the have packages of drop cloth that's fairly thin, I think.

Toni said...

It turned out wonderfully. Maggie really wants one. She thinks it is "so cool." You did a great job. What a beautiful seamstress you are.